If you’ve noticed a slight minty scent coming from your Proper bottle, you’re totally right! That’s our minty pack. This all-natural, food-grade insert is infused with peppermint oil at the bottom of your bottle in order to give your sleep supplements a fresh scent.
Why we add it to every bottle and refill pouch
Our capsules are filled with botanical extracts that emit a natural, earthy aroma which some customers found off-putting. Could we have avoided this barn-like fragrance? Sure, but that would have meant adding unnecessary fillers and/or artificial flavors to the capsules. With our minty pack, we’re able to add a fresh scent without changing the formulation. A win-win in our books since we’re sticklers about purity and quality.
Why we chose the peppermint pack
After a whole lot of research, testing, *sniffing*, and re-testing, we landed on a product that passed the test for our high standards—and we’re confident you’ll feel the same. Here’s why:
- The packs are made with a proprietary Encapsulated Aroma Release® technology, which means the aromatic scents are emitted subtly and gradually over the course of the month. In other words, you won’t get hit with a strong whiff of peppermint on week one, and nothing after that.
- The peppermint pack is non-coated, which means no flavors or fillers. There’s just what’s needed to freshen up the bottle, and nothing more.
- They’re made with all-natural, FDA-complaint, certified organic, non-GMO, vegan, kosher, and halal-certified flavors.
Questions? We’ve got answers.
- Will the peppermint pack interact with or somehow affect the ingredients in my supplement?
Nope. Because the ScentCerts encapsulate the all-natural flavors in a polymer structure, it does not negatively impact the integrity of the ingredients.
- What about the efficacy of the ingredients? Will the pack affect that?
Nope. The polymers are designed for stability, which means no ingredients are released that could potentially mix with the supplement ingredients or negatively impact efficacy.
- Is my peppermint pack safe to eat?
Although ingesting the pack should not cause any harm in adults, it shouldn’t be because the polymer base is not digestible. Specific caution should be taken for children since the pack could be a choking hazard.
- What ingredients in the Proper supplements carry the earthy, barn-like fragrance that this peppermint pack masks?
The two primary ingredients contributing to the off-putting scent are Sensoril® Ashwagandha and Valerian Root.
Sensoril® Ashwagandha Root & Leaf Extract
This is an adaptogen, which is essentially a fancy word to describe a group of herbs that have been used in Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine) for thousands of years. Sensoril is derived from a unique extract of the leaves and roots of the Withania somnifera plant that have been studied in 14 human clinical trials. It has been shown to decrease cortisol (a key marker of stress) and relieve occasional sleeplessness. (1)
Valeriana officinalis, commonly known as valerian, is an herb native to Europe and Asia whose roots have been used since ancient Greek and Roman times as a sleep promoter (it’s also been clinically proven to improve sleep quality). (2) By binding to the GABA receptor, it reduces excitability in the nervous system prior to and during N1 (first sleep stage), when the body needs to feel calm, relaxed, and drowsy in order to move to N2 (second sleep stage).
Interested in learning about other ingredients in natural sleep supplements? We've got you covered.